September is National Suicide Prevention Month.
#BeThe1To help someone else.
As part of National Suicide Prevention Month (9/1-9/30), the Lifeline is highlighting the key message that everyone has a role to play in suicide prevention. You might be wondering, “But what can I do?” You can do a lot – which is why we’re encouraging everyone this month to “Be The 1 To” help someone else.
Throughout the month, we’ll be providing you with several different lifesaving resources you can share with family, friends, and more via social media to accomplish just that. We will also be releasing a series of graphics that will list the 5 steps you can take to help someone in suicidal crisis:
1. Be The 1 To…Ask. (About suicide)
2. Be The 1 To…Keep Them Safe. (By removing access to lethal means);
3. Be The 1 To…Be There. (By being present, listening with compassion and without judgment, letting them know you care about them);
4. Be The 1 To…Help Them Stay Connected. (To caring others—friends, family, therapists, clergy, teachers, coaches, etc.—and to the Lifeline and other 24/7 crisis care resources); and
5. Be The 1 To…Follow Up. (By checking in regularly with the person you are concerned about, for days and weeks after the crisis – be sure to let them know you are thinking about them, and that you are there to help if needed).
These graphics will be posted periodically throughout the month of September, so be sure to connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. You can simply share, RT, or repost the graphics from our pages directly, or you can visit the “Nat’l SP Month ‘15” page on our website that will be constantly updated with the graphics, as well. From there, you can right click and save the images, and share them online or print them out. At the end of the month, we will put all of the graphics together so that the 5 steps can be accessed anywhere, anytime.
But we have several other resources for you to share in the meantime –
Shareable Social Media Graphics
• “6 Things to Consider When Creating a Safety Plan” – http://bit.ly/1uWqWRR
• “100 Ways to Make it Through the Next 5 Minutes” – http://bit.ly/1GvQ3Pb
• “Do You Know The Warning Signs of Suicide?” (See below – right click to save as & share).
All materials thanks to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.